Jewelry Care: Maintaining Your Gold Jewelry with Colored Stones
By: Nikki Riela | January 26, 2019
Colored stones need some lovin’ too.
Since many natural gemstones are color enhanced after extraction, cleaning them gets a bit more complicated than just soaking your jewelry in a soap and ammonia mixture.
The best way to keep your colored stones looking beautiful is by taking them to your jeweler periodically for a professional cleaning, tightening, and polishing of the pieces. This will ensure that not only your pieces are physically looking better but they are all safely set.
If you can’t get to your jeweler for one reason or another you can still keep them looking new by following these easy steps:
1. Mix water and a few drops of dishwashing soap in a saucepan or boiling-safe container
2. Place your saucepan or boiling-safe container on the stove and bring to a simmer (DO NOT LET IT BOIL)
3. Place your jewelry in a strainer and place the strainer in simmering mixture
4. Let the jewelry sit in the simmering mixture for about 10 minutes periodically gently shaking the strainer while jewelry is still inside the liquid
5. Air dry or pat dry with a soft cloth or paper towel
These five easy steps will help you keep your jewelry clean until the next time you can visit your jeweler.